Saturday, April 14, 2007

NHK Comes to Waltham

Sorry for hitting the Boston/Japan theme a little heavy in recent posts, but this is worth it. I was contacted by NHK, the Japan Broadcasting Corporation, to do an interview about the article I wrote in The Boston Globe on the Fenway Park bar in Kyoto. So yesterday, I was honored to have a four-person crew come in and set up shop in our living room to film the interview. I had no idea it was going to be that big of a production complete with a boom mike and lighting setup. We talked about how we stumbled on the bar in Kyoto, what I thought about the bar, why I wrote the story, and how I thought Dice-K would do for the Sox. I also talked about the story of how the Red Sox front office had read the article and sent along a nice gift to the bar. They filmed some scenes of me watching the Sox on TV and filmed the article and some pictures I had. This was my first time being interviewed on camera, and it was really fun that they came to our house. Also interesting that our living room might be seen half the world away, but not here in the U.S. Not sure if any of it will make the final cut, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. If you're in Japan, the air date is Monday, April 30 from 19:30 to 20:43 on NHK's Sogo Channel (Channel 1 in Tokyo, I believe).

No comments: